Creating a Media Library in VLC Player
VLC is a powerful software media player that can play just about any audio or video format you throw at it. It's also a stellar alternative to Windows Media Player and iTunes for managing your digital media files. However, if you're not familiar with its interface it may take some getting used to.
If you want to move over to VLC Media Player then one of your first tasks is to set up your media library. Out of the box, the interface may seem minimalistic, but under the hood, there is a lot to play with.
Get the Latest Version
Get the Latest Version
First make sure you have the latest version of VLC installed on your computer. The program automatically checks for updates every two weeks, so if you already have the program then it's likely up to date. You can run the update checker anytime by selecting Help > Check For Updates.
How to Set Up VLC Media Player
It's a good idea to configure VLC to automatically save and reload your media library every time the program is started. To do this, select the Tools menu tab and select Preferences. On a Mac, select VLC from the menu bar and then Preferences.
- Switch to the advanced menu by selecting Show All in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Select Playlist from in the sidebar on the left.
- Select the checkbox next Use Media Library and then Save.
How to Create a VLC Media Library
Now that you've set up VLC Media Player it's time to add some music.
- Select Media Library from the left sidebar in the main playlist view.
- Chances are you've got all your music in one main folder on your computer or external hard drive. If this is the case, and you want to add everything in one go, then right-click anywhere on the main part of the screen and select Add Folder.
- Alternatively, navigate to your music folder using a Windows Explorer (PC) or Finder window (Mac), and simply click and drag the folders or files you want into the VLC playlist.
- Navigate to where your music folder is located, highlight it with the left mouse button, and then select Select Folder.
Latest news and post
- Creating a Media Library in VLC Player
- What Is the Best Audio Format for My Portable Device?
- What Is Offline Mode in a Streaming Music Service?
- How to Create a Playlist Using Winamp